Topical application of essential oils is the second most popular way to use oils. Although essential oils are readily absorbed through the skin, there are many ways to increase absorption.
To decrease the likelihood of developing a skin sensitivity, especially on young or sensitive skin, it is advisable to always use a carrier oil (such as Fractionated Coconut Oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or almond oil) to dilute more potent essential oils and when trying an essential oil for the first time.
The recommend dilution ratio is typically one drop of essential oil to three drops of carrier oil. You can also use 5-10 drops of your preferred essential oil, in a 10ml roller bottle, topped off with your carrier oil, and applied to the needed area.
Beneficial Areas You Can Apply Essential Oils
* Arms, legs, bottom of feet
* Face (useful for helping with complexion and beautifying the skin)
* Forehead, neck, and temples (a target area for dealing with feelings of tension)
* Roof of the mouth (for help with balancing emotions and your mood)
* Base of the skull (an external option for emotional and mood support)
* Abdomen (to apply over major digestive organs)
* Chest (a good area to apply for feelings of clear breathing)
* The soles of the feet (to limit sensitivity, soothe the feet, or for massage. Massaging the feet can stimulate nerve endings and generate whole-body benefits.)